Thursday, March 26, 2009

What do I need to host my own website?

Alright computer geek family...





We have a small business and currently our website is being hosted by godaddy.com. We have a static IP with a server. The server contains 4 hard drives set up as a RAID - each hard drive is 120GB and the server is running Server 2003 (I believe).





So, what next? How do I go about hosting my own web site?
What do I need to host my own website?
Sounds like you have everything you need.


Server 2003 comes with IIS (internet information services) so with the static IP address and some content (you can have godaddy back it all up or even get it direct via an FTP connection.)


Here%26#039;s Microsoft%26#039;s step by step guide to setting up your first IIS website:


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323972


Once it is all in place and tested you will need to ask godaddy to change your domain name (your webaddress, i.e. www.mycompany.com) to point to your IP address. This is usually called the %26#039;A%26#039; record but they can help you with that.


Good luck!
What do I need to host my own website?
You can host your own site, but ISPs typically charge a commercial rate for the connection. Make sure you (or someone you hire) is able to maintain the site.
Reply:You will also need to install a web server. Microsoft IIS is a good one as well as Apache (not sure if Apache runs on Windows).

No comments:

Post a Comment